June 20, 2011

Blueberries

Just over a week ago, the kids and I went blueberry picking.  It's a nice little family farm that is organically run and you can't beat their prices, $3 per pound.  The Chmielewski’s Blueberry Farm is fantastic.  This is the second year I have gone there.  Last year I had Colton strapped to my chest and Maben stuffed his face with as many ripe blueberries as he could.  This year, Maben picked about 1/3 of a pound and Colton stuffed his face with as many blueberries as he could...ripe or not (we both paid for that for a few days!).

Maben showing Colton how to pick blueberries.
Maben upset that Colton is eating white and
green blueberries, even though he keeps
showing him how to pick the purple and blue ones.

We had a lot of fun, even though it has been nothing but super hot here in Texas.  The boys held out, I bumped into a great friend of mine and we brought home a lot of blueberries.  We got just shy of 3 lbs.  If you are wondering what that looks like, it will fill a kids sand pail (like the kind you find at the dollar store).  So what do you do with all those blueberries, eat them and bake with them of course!

I rinsed them first (and busted out my camera to try out some new techniques).  I think I did an excellent job figuring out flash in low light with a fast shutter speed.  What do you think?


The first thing I made with my blueberries were some muffins.  I have been tweaking recipes a lot in order to make them healthier and lower in fat.  This recipe has a little zing with the added lemon, but it's delicious and refreshing. 


The batch made 24 mini muffins and 7 regular sized muffins and I ended up eating way too many.  Don't they look delicious?  And now...I want to make more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...