October 13, 2011

My Costume: Part 1

Owls have been rather popular in the sewing and crafting world for over a year now and I personally love the trend.  I decided to embody that trend and make myself an owl costume for Halloween. 

Now, first of all, this is the FIRST year I have ever made myself a costume.  I typically will thrift something/buy/borrow to get a costume.  Last year I hijacked my hubby's old Army uniform and boots and went as a soldier. 

The first part of my costume is a mask.  I completed this last night and if all goes well, I will finish the second part of my costume sometime in the near future.  I was hoping to say tonight, but I have a kiddo battling croup, which means no one is sleeping well around here. 

Anyways, onto the mask.  Isn't it beautiful?  I love it!  Does it look owl enough?


I have always enjoyed making masks, ever since I was a kid.  As a kid I even use to collect those porcelain face masks that seemed to be everywhere in the late 80's. 

My mask started off as this.  A fabric covered plastic molded mask that I picked up at Jo Ann Fabrics.


Then with the addition of glue, felt, markers and some pheasant feathers I was able to transform it into this.


Now, trying to keep my kiddos hands off of this until Halloween is going to be the challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...