June 26, 2012

Photo 366 #26

Summertime brings vacations and road trips.  I took my first real road trip with the kids this past week.  While my husband was away on a business trip, the kids and I took off from Houston to Nebraska.  It was also so Clark Griswold of me to show my kids the, "World's Largest Ball of Twine."  I love the weird, wacky and sometimes crazy pieces of history you can find in the United States.

June 19 - Maben sporting his, "rock star," glasses.  Anytime he puts them on, he has to bring out his guitar.  


June 20 - I wish I could remember the name of this plant.  I just picked it up at the nursery and planted in near a tree in our back yard.


June 21 - Let the road trip begin!  Beautiful landscape somewhere between Houston and Dallas.


June 22 - Greetings from, "The World's Largest Ball of Twine!"  It's real and it's located in Cawker City, Kansas. 


June 23 - The real reason I went on this completely insane road trip (1650 miles round trip taken in 5 days).  This is my grandfather and here he is with his wife Erlene at his 90th birthday party!!!  Happy Birthday Grandpa!


June 24 - Welcome to the Geographical Center of the Continental United States!  Located just outside of Lebannon, Kansas.


June 25 - Finally, back in Texas!  We are so happy, until I have to explain to the kids how many more hours on the road until we get back home.


So, what's the craziest, weirdest or wackiest thing you have found in your travels?  The Ball of Twine definitely cracks my top ten!

2 comments:

  1. That ball of twine is high on my bucket list of "world's largests" to visit with my family! We seek out any world's largest, and have seen several quirky ones, like the largest light bulb in NJ, the largest bowling pin in FL, and the largest apple in VA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Look for the annual festival that accompanies the World's Largest Ball of Twine if you go. I have heard it's a lot of fun.

      Delete

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...