November 21, 2011

A Glimpse of my Weekend

This weekend was filled with a lot of fun.  I took the kids to a street art festival called Via Colori and the whole family went to the Texas Renaissance Festival. 

Via Colori is such a fun festival.  Lots of artists come together to raise money for the Center for Hearing and Speech.  They do this by blocking off streets and chalking their own space.  I took the kids on Saturday and got to see the artists just starting their works of art...too bad I couldn't be at two places at once and see the finished pieces on Sunday.  There was also some fun kid activities, like making sand art.


Maben had such a great time.  Colton was rather indifferent about the experience, until I let him run loose in Sam Houston Park.  Here he is standing on the stairs of the San Felipe House, all decorated for the upcoming holidays.  Too bad I couldn't get a good photo of both the kids together...then I would have my Christmas card!


Oh and I can't forget to show you the artists at work.  Too bad most of them were far from done when the kids were done and wanting to go home.  I really would have loved to see the finished product.  I guess I will have to go next year...and maybe sign up for my own spot! 


On the way back to the car, Maben just had to see "the gooey rocks!"  This is actually called In Minds, by sculptor Tony Cragg.


All the fun above happened on Saturday and Sunday is when we hit up the Renaissance Festival.  We started off with watching some jousting. 


Watched the elephants give rides.  How Colton wanted to ride...maybe when I believe you won't jump off the side of the elephant. 


Food...lots of food.  You can't go to the Renaissance Festival without eating something on a stick, which we did.  But, we also had to have some ice cream because it has still been in the 80's here.  Definitely does not feel like Thanksgiving is right around the corner.


We also watched the Birds of Prey show.  They had an impressive selection of birds and I learned quite a bit.  I also got to see a species that I never had seen before.  The King Vulture.  Isn't she beautiful?  That's the prettiest vulture I have ever seen.


We also got to see the largest of all owls, the Eagle Owl.  I love his "ears."  Not sure what those tufts of feathers are, but they kinda look like ears.


And on the way out, the kids were mesmerized by this woman playing the violin.  She was playing a lot of beautiful music and I think my kids could have sat and listened to her play for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...