February 9, 2011

Preschool Class Craft: Part 1

My son's preschool does a huge fundraiser each spring that has an auction to it.  I was asked to help with Maben's class craft.  I put together a couple ideas, let the parents vote on which one to do.  I am not going to tell you all just yet what I am doing, but here is a hint.


I am building something with wood.  Isn't it such a great hint?  Can you guess?  Here is another clue, the kids are going to be involved sometime during this project. 

Tonight I spent over an hour out in the woodshop (aka garage), chopping and ripping boards to size. I had one minor mishap which resulted in this.


I got to experience some kickback from the table saw.  I got grazed by a board and it took out a box behind me.  Small scratch and a bruise that is turning a lovely shade of purple. 

Since I am talking about power tools and injury, I will be stealing a few lines from Norm Abram and tell you this, "Before we get started I'd like to take a moment to talk about shop safety. Be sure to read, understand and follow all the safety rules that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your power tools PROPERLY will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury. And remember this. There is no other more important safety rule than to wear THESE... safety glasses and also HEARING protection when necessary."

Now that the safety lesson is over and done with, I will show you the fruits of my labor tonight.


A whole pile of cut lumber.  The bad part, not done chopping and ripping boards.  Still probably another hour or so, then I can work on construction.  Stay tuned for Part 2, which should be up by the end of this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. HaHA! I love your safety check and what is that contraption on your head? Always want to know about some new safety gear. Sorry about your booboo. Do you have a splitter and guard on your table saw?

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...