Yesterday both of my boys fell asleep for naps AT THE SAME TIME!!! I normally take advantage of that opportunity and take a nap myself, but today I was wide awake and wanting to accomplish ANYTHING. I went into my craft room and looked around to see what I should do and it hit me when I looked over at my sewing machine. I looked at the old cover and said, "I could do that, I could make a new one." So, that's what I did.
I took the old cover off, laid it down on my cutting table and took some measurement. When laid flat, the width was 22 inches and the height was 13.5 inches. I dug around in my stash and pulled out this fabric to use as my new cover.
I ended up cutting a piece of fabric that was 23 inches wide by 28 inches tall. I took the piece and folded it in half, right sides together. I then stitched up either side with a straight stitch.
I then followed up with a zig zag since I was going to leave the edges raw.
I did this to both sides. Once that was completed, I hemmed up the bottom. I pressed it an inch, then did a straight stitch, followed by a zig zag stitch, just like I did on the sides.
In order to get the boxed top look that the old cover had, I measured the seam length. I pressed the corner flat.
I then took my handy dandy triangle that is a 90/45/45 and used that to make sure I would get a line that wasn't crooked or askew. The seam was 5 1/2 inches across, so I used that as my measurement.
I did a straight stitch, then followed up with a zig zag like shown.
I clipped the corner off, right above the zig zag stitch.
I flipped it right side out and put it on my machine. It fit well, not as well as the old one, but so much prettier. Had I tapered the sides in, it would have been a perfect fit, but I wasn't that worried about it.
I decided not to make a handle hole in the top because I never take my machine anywhere. Definitely wasn't a necessity for me, so I left it out.
I am so happy with how the new one looks. It is SO much better than the old one, which now resides in my trash.